When life gives you carrots....make bacon. This is a very simple meal to make that even your non-vegan friends will love. Let's jump right into the recipe.
- Pretzel Buns/Whole Wheat Bread (vegan)
- Vegan Mayo
- Tomatoes (sliced)
- 2-3 medium sized carrots (wide)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- pinch black pepper
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
1. Prep carrots by washing, chopping off each end, and use a potato peeler to peel paper thin slices. (some may break, but you can still use those pieces)
2. To marinate carrot slices, use a small, shallow bowl and add the liquid smoke, soy sauce, maple syrup, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Stir, then marinate the carrots for at least 5-10 minutes. (You may need to marinate more than one batch to make sure they are fully covered).
3. Next, heat 1 tbsp grapeseed oil in 2 skillets over medium-high heat and once oil is hot, saute' kale in one and caramelize sliced onions in the other.
4. In another skillet, heat grapeseed oil and begin to cook your carrot bacon until both sides are to your desired color or crisp level. As the bacon pieces are removed from the skillet, drain them on a paper towel. *Note that the bacon will harden on it's own after a few minutes.
5. To design your sandwich, first add mayo to both or all sides of the bread slices, then add a layer of caramelized onions, kale, tomatoes, and carrot bacon. Repeat this process if making a double-decker sandwich.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as me and my family have. If you'd like more recipes like this, feel free to support and order our new vegan cookbook (e-book and hard copies available) on the home page.
Also, check out our vegan apparel so you can help spread the word about the importance of switching to a plant-based lifestyle.